News

Water tests stepped up after boy dies from infection

Water tests stepped up after boy dies from infection

Photo: clipart.com

By Kathy Finn

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) – Some Louisiana towns intensified testing of water supplies on Monday after a 4-year-old boy died from a rare brain-eating amoeba that authorities suspect he contracted while playing on a Slip-N-Slide toy in the backyard of a home.

“We are testing and retesting our water to make sure it has the proper amount of chlorine to prevent contamination,” said David Peralta, president of St. Bernard Parish, where the boy was visiting when he is believed to have become infected.

Local schools also remain on guard.

“Just to be cautious, we turned off the water fountains at the elementary and middle schools,” said Doris Voitier, superintendent of St. Bernard Public Schools.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed in August that the amoeba Naegleria fowleri caused the early August death of the boy, a Mississippi resident who became mysteriously ill and died while visiting friends in St. Bernard Parish, which is southeast of New Orleans.

Tissue tests by the CDC later revealed the boy died from a form of encephalitis after the amoeba entered his body through his nose and attacked his brain.

Louisiana’s Office of Public Health investigated circumstances leading to the boy’s death and concluded that he may have become infected while playing on a Slip ‘N Slide water toy in the backyard of the home he was visiting.

The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals on Friday confirmed the presence of the amoeba in four locations of the water system in St. Bernard Parish.

State epidemiologist Dr. Raoult Ratard said Naegleria fowleri infections are rare, though the amoeba itself is not. Studies have shown that the amoeba exists “in very low numbers” in about 40 percent of water supplies in the developed world, he said.

He said the amoeba likely multiplied in the St. Bernard water system because the chlorine level in some locations fell below the 0.5 milligrams per liter standard by the CDC. Ratard said humans are infected through the nose and not from drinking.

From 2001 to 2010, 32 Naegleria fowleri infections were reported in the United States. Of those cases, 30 people were infected by contaminated recreational water and two by water from a geothermal drinking water supply, according to the CDC.

Peralta said that St. Bernard Parish is continuing to flush its water system and add chlorine to ensure that the water is safe for drinking and bathing.

While communities that lie near St. Bernard Parish have their own, separate water supplies, some are seeking assurances that their water is safe.

Latest Headlines

2 hours ago in Entertainment

Stage is set for toughest National Spelling Bee ever

Fresh
11-overlay-15

The final day of the Scripps National Spelling Bee could feature the most difficult words ever used in the competition.

3 hours ago in Lifestyle

Public pools are gross, but you’ll go swimming anyway

16-overlay-10

A new report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says almost 80 percent of public pools fail routine health inspections.

3 hours ago in Entertainment

‘The Fast and the Furious’ racing back to theaters for anniversary run

11-overlay-13

The first film in the highly-popular franchise was released on June 22, 2001 and will hit theaters again next month for a limited nationwide run.

3 hours ago in Music

Pink Floyd honored on special British stamps

rogerwaters16124858764661

The commemorative stamps, issued by Britain's postal service Royal Mail to mark the 50th anniversary of the band's first professional gig, will be available at U.K. post offices from July 7.

3 hours ago in Entertainment

Dustin Diamond back in jail in Wisconsin

dustindiamond

The former "Saved by the Bell" star reportedly violated the terms of his parole.