Cyrus, Hemsworth announce split after 4 years

Cyrus, Hemsworth announce split after 4 years

Liam Hemsworth and Miley Cyrus have announced the end of their engagement. Photo: Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Singer and actress Miley Cyrus and actor Liam Hemsworth have called off their engagement, representatives for both stars said on Monday, ending months of speculation that the young couple’s relationship was on the rocks.

Cyrus, 20, and “Hunger Games” actor Hemsworth, 23, ended their four-year relationship, but no reason was given for the break-up by their representatives.

Over the weekend, Cyrus stopped following Hemsworth on social networking site Twitter, which fueled break-up reports in the media.

Cyrus first met Australian actor Hemsworth in 2009 on the set of her film “The Last Song,” where the two played lovers. The couple announced their engagement in June last year.

Former Disney Channel star Cyrus, who shot to fame as the lead in “Hannah Montana,” has tried to shed her teen idol image over the years.

She captured headlines earlier last month with a provocative and raunchy performance at the MTV Video Music Awards ahead of her upcoming album, “Bangerz.”

Hemsworth has seen his star rise in Hollywood, playing a leading role in dystopian young adult film franchise “The Hunger Games” and taking on action roles in “The Expendables 2” and “Paranoia.”

Latest Headlines

in Entertainment

Cosby to be deposed in sexual abuse lawsuit


Bill Cosby was expected to testify under oath in a lawsuit brought by a woman accusing the veteran comedian of sexual abuse.

in Entertainment

OPENING WEEKEND: Biopic ‘Steve Jobs’ competes against ‘Pan,’ ‘The Walk’


Here's a look at the movies set to open nationwide this weekend.

in Viral Videos

WATCH: Soldier breaks rank to hug daughter at homecoming


Top brass at a Colorado Army post are all smiles after a 2-year-old girl interrupted a general's speech to dash across the room and hug her dad, who had just come home from a nine-month deployment.

in Entertainment

‘Ant-Man’ sequel and three more Marvel movies are coming


The superhero universe will add three more as of yet unnamed movies by 2020.

in Entertainment

Carlton says there won’t be a ‘Fresh Prince’ reboot


Alfonso Ribeiro is adamant there will never be a TV reboot of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," because no one can take the place of their "cornerstone" James Avery.