News

Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro will serve life without parole plus 1,000 years to avoid the death penalty. Photo: Associated Press/Tony Dejak

CLEVELAND (AP) — A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has agreed to plead guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

Ariel Castro is entering the plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors said the 53-year-old Castro would be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Castro had been charged in a 977-count indictment.

He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.

The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. Each said they had accepted a ride from Castro.

They escaped Castro’s house May 6 when one kicked out part of a door and called to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested within hours and has remained behind bars.

Latest Headlines

in Entertainment

Trevor Noah set to replace Stewart on ‘Daily Show’

Fresh
trevornoah

Comedy Central has named Trevor Noah, a 31-year-old comedian from South Africa, as Jon Stewart's replacement.

in Lifestyle

Lincoln Continental, the car of presidents, is returning

Fresh
lincoln

Elvis Presley had one. So did presidents from Kennedy to Reagan.

in Entertainment

‘Home’ tops weekend box office

Fresh
home

Jennifer Lopez and Rihanna's new animated movie raked in $54 million this weekend.

in Entertainment

Hugh Jackman is done with ‘Wolverine’

Hugh Jackman

Jackman has played Wolverine for the past 15 years, including two stand-alone sequels.

in Entertainment

For $40K you can fly the friendly skies with Al Pacino

alpacino

"The Godfather" star is also giving film buffs the chance to have lunch with him for $12,000.