News

U.S. doctor contracts Ebola in Liberia

U.S. doctor contracts Ebola in Liberia

Dr. Kent Brantly, left, treats an Ebola patient at the Samaritan's Purse Ebola Case Management Center in Monrovia, Liberia. Photo: Associated Press/Samaritan's Purse

DAKAR (Reuters) – A 33-year-old American doctor working for a relief organization in Liberia’s capital has tested positive for the tropical disease Ebola, according to a statement from Samaritan’s Purse.

Dr. Kent Brantly, medical director at one of the country’s two treatment centers run by the organization, recognized his own symptoms and confined himself to an isolation ward.

It was not immediately clear how he caught Ebola. The relief group’s Melissa Strickland said that he had followed strict safety protocols when treating patients.

“It’s too early to try to explain it. We will have an intensive and thorough investigation,” she said.

Across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, at least 660 people have died from the illness, according to the World Health Organisation, as poor, ill-equipped African governments have struggled to cope with the virus.

Ebola kills up to 90 percent of those who catch it, although the fatality rate of the current outbreak is lower at around 60 percent. Highly contagious, patients suffer from vomiting and diarrhea as well as internal and external bleeding.

(Reporting by Emma Farge; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

Latest Headlines

3 hours ago in Entertainment

‘Oregon Trail,’ ‘Sonic’ join World Video Game Hall of Fame

Updated
videogamehall2016AP

Last year, "Super Mario Bros." and "Pong" were among the first inductees to the World Video Game Hall of Fame. The class of 2016 is just as strong.

6 hours ago in Entertainment

Seth MacFarlane returning to Fox with new sci-fi series

sethmacfarlane536713938826

The "Family Guy" star is producing a new series set 300 years in the future.

9 hours ago in Music

‘You can’t always get what you want,’ Stones tell Trump

rollingstonesREUTERS

The Rolling Stones told Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump on Wednesday to stop using the band's music for his campaign after artists such as Adele and R.E.M. made the same request.

9 hours ago in Entertainment

Channing Tatum bringing ‘Magic Mike’ to Sin City

20-overlay-3

The actor, who starred and produced in both the 2012 film and its 2015 sequel "Magic Mike XXL" made the announcement in a Facebook Live video on Wednesday, revealing "Magic Mike Live" will be coming to the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in March, 2017.